March 26, 2012
“I’m the hero of this story, I don’t need to be saved…” -Regina Specktor, “Hero”
First and Second Recap
Rebecca, The Cheese Logue.
• Jen suggested she change ballpark to stadium because we’re talking about football.
• Pat wonders if the part with Sophie should be in another chapter.
• Greg didn’t think it moved the story forward either.
• Millie liked the poem.
• Greg asks about who the target audience is; Rebecca imagines it for women between the ages of 18 and dead.
• Alicia thought the character, Rebecca, didn’t really react to being in the bar, though she didn’t enjoy it.
• Pat points out that if it’s an honest reaction, even if it’s bad, people will empathize with it.
• Amber wanted more trivia about how many Superbowl games the Packers have one.
Millie, Life On Hold.
• Just a note: in dialogue we speak the numbers, but in narrative we can leave the number as a number, like 1957. The key is to be consistent. (Ah-ha)
• Pat points out a section that could be cut because nothing really happens and we get to the debate faster. She also doesn’t think a serious debater would lose her cool.
• Alicia thought the argument was way too short and doesn’t think it got to the core issues; perhaps she could insert some additional points so you get the feeling that the debate went on the appropriate length of time.
Pat, Poems Hey You! & Open House
• Jen accidentally deleted the poem because she thought it was some kind of advertisement. (ROTFL)
• Rebecca wondered if there was any real driving. Pat was just trying to follow the format of the daytime commercial.
• Alicia thought the different types of poems got a little elevated and suggested getting rid of the asterisk but Jen liked it.
• Rebecca begs for a series of funny poems.
• Everybody enjoyed it though.
• Next Pat shares Open House. Jerry liked the last three lines.
• Alicia brought up the sad element of the poem, because it made their lives feel simply too routine.
Greg, Beyond Cloud Nine.
• Pat was really zipping along, turning pages, having to slow down and remember to review, but she had a problem with the twelve minute reboot.
• Pat wonders why the main character doesn’t say anything about the sabotage to her sister.
• Amber had a question about a couple of characters reaction. What happens to tears in zero gravity.
• Jerry wonders if someone pops up and spins in zero gravity, they keep going—she has to reach out a hand to stop herself.
• Alicia thought it moved really well and the dialogue was so good, some details could be peppered in, perhaps even some humor added.
• Jerry wants to know if Brooke’s going to survive the end of the chapter. (more…)